I'm starting this blog to keep track of my mileage and hopefully I'll be able to look back on it and get some inspiration from time to time. I've been a little burned out this summer, but I think I deserve it :) I put in alot of miles this spring (training for my first 1/2) and decided to give myself some time off to sit on the couch and catch up on eating and reality TV watching. Right now I'm just running, no pressure, no upcoming races - at least not too soon.
My goal is to run faster :) My current pace is about 9 min/mile and I'd like to speed up to about 8 min/mile, at least for 5K runs. I ran my last 5K in 28:30, a 9:30 pace. I'd be really happy with a 5K time around 24/25 mins. Last summer I was almost there, my best time was 26:48. I think what helped me the most was having a running partner that constantly challenged me to run faster. If I'm by myself I tend to run a little bit further, much slower and I bring my ipod. I love to zone out and listen to music.
Since I can't give up my long slow runs I've been trying to throw in some shorter speed and hill workouts. I've also been making an effort to do a little more "cross training" because I tend to get burned out. I got my first road bike this summer and try to make sure I go for at least one long ride per week - usually on the weekends. This weekend it will be Sunday, I'm going to the beach Saturday :) Tonight I've decided to swich things up a little and go to yoga.
If anyone's got any speed tips I'd love to hear them!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
2 comments:
No running tips from me, of course, but lots of good wishes! Try running to Krispy Kreme.....
Here's my tio-o-the day: Use a heart rate monitor and figure out your training zones. That has helped me realize when I need to go slow and also when my tired feeling is all in my head.
Post a Comment